musings and rantings

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

One is [supposedly] the Loneliest Number...

Today was characteristic of Florida in the summer, choc-full o' sporadic rain. I decided that since I had an exam to study for and I didn't want to endanger my precious car anymore than necessary, so I decided would just stay in the office for lunch.

I did just that, and walked to the back of the building, headed for the break room. However, once I came through the double-doors into the hall, I knew the break room was not where I wanted to be. Considering my migraine and concurrent lack of patience/socialization skills, a room full of loud, cliché nerds ex-librarians.


Thankfully, a much quieter repose awaited me in the lounge (directly across from the break room). I quickly scarfed down my meal and then made an attempt to sort through the million and ten things running around the track that is my brain. Just as I was finally making some headway, a woman poked her head into the lounge and saw me. She then took it upon herself to come into the room and ask, "Awww. Why are ya in here eating alone?" I proceeded to tell her, "Oh, I was just eating lunch - I just wanted to sit some place quiet." Evidently, she didn't believe me...

Is it so difficult to fathom that a woman may want to sit, alone, at a table and not want to converse with other people? The concept is not so foriegn to me. I enjoy being alone with myself and my thoughts. It's much more diffcult for me to focus on my internal monologue when I'm in the company of other people. I know I can't be the only one. There must be other women who do the same. But for now, from what I can tell, because I ate alone in the lounge, I am antisocial.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home